If you are feeling depleted, essential oil aromatherapy can be a gentle and safe way to rejuvenate your energy and invigorate your senses. Essential oils are typically blended into and applied with a thicker carrier oil (such as grapeseed, olive, coconut, jojoba, almond, or other massage oil). With this method, you can massage the oil into your feet, behind your ears, or along pulse points on your arms and legs.
Essential oils also can be inhaled (“air therapy”) much the way one inhales the aroma of a good meal. Hold the bottle a few inches below your nose and breathe deeply. Another option is to use an aromatherapy diffuser. We use these at our office and infuse lavender for the relaxing effect. It’s also a great technique to use around the house, especially after a long day. Many parents will also use calming essential oils in diffusers to help calm down children that may be hyperactive.
These uses of essential oils are believed to stimulate the brain centers that are active in regulating hormones, including those that affect emotion and energy levels. The oils listed below are just a few that are recommended for boosting alertness, elevating mood, and restoring balance when you feel fatigued. Check with your wellness practitioner to see if these oils are right for you.
Energy-boosting oils can be blended or used individually. Remember, these oils are stimulating, so you would not want to use them within a few hours of going to sleep.
- Bergamot (Citrus bergamia) helps relieve anxiety and pent-up energy.
- Ginger (Zingiber officinale) has a stimulating fragrance that can boost motivation when you feel sluggish.
- Lemon/Lime (Citrus limon/Citrus aurantifolia) are energizing, cleansing scents that can help dispel worry and clear emotional confusion.
- Peppermint/Spearmint (Mentha piperita/Mentha spicata) both can awaken mental activity and help relieve fatigue. Spearmint has a sweeter, less medicinal scent than peppermint. The mints also can be beneficial to reduce stress headaches.
- Rosemary (Rosmarinus officinalis) helps calm anxiety and boost mental alertness.